John William Norie - Maker: John was a mathematician, hydrographer, chart maker and publisher of nautical books most famous for his Epitome of Practical Navigation (1805) which became a standard work on navigation and went through many editions as did many of Norie's works. Norie began his career working with William Heather, who had in 1765 taken over chart publishers Mount and Page and who ran the Naval Academy and Naval Warehouse in Leadenhall Street from 1795; the Naval Warehouse provided navigational instruments, charts, and books on navigation. Norie took over the Naval Warehouse after Heather's retirement and founded the company J.W. Norie and Company in 1813. After Norie's death the company became Norie and Wilson, then in 1903 Imray, Laurie, Norie & Wilson. He died in 1843. Price: Date: 1772
Model # MMA004
R.H. Laurie - Maker: Son of Robert Laurie. On his father's retirement in 1812, went into partnership with James Whittle, trading as Whittle and Laurie. After Whittle's death in 1818 ran the business as R. H. Laurie, employing as draughtsmen John Purdy, Alexander Findlay, Alexander George Findlay and de la Rochette. In the 1820s and 30s built up the cartographic side of the business until he was overtaken by the expanding production of Admiralty charts. For the history of the firm, see entry for Robert Sayer. The business traded under a series of names. He died in 1835. Price: Date: 1777
Model # MMA005
Edmund Blunt - Maker: Edmund Blunt the first and oldest assistant in the survey of the coast, died on September 2, 1866, at his residence, near the city of New York in the 67th year of his age. The conspicuous services of Mr. Blunt deserve more than a mere expression of personal regret for the loss of an able associate. Since the organization of the Coast Survey he had acted an important part in earning, by the extent of his labors and the accuracy of his results, the reputation which the work has sustained for efficiency and precision. Inheriting from his father a strong inclination for hydrographic pursuits, and commencing in early boyhood the practice of his profession, his entire life may be said to have been devoted to the security and extension of our commerce by determining and describing the dangers in its path. The law of Congress which provided for the survey of the coast did not take full effect until 1832. Previous to that date the charts of our coast were based upon the early and cursory surveys of Des Barres and others, occasionally corrected by detached surveys in pursuance of special acts of Congress, or by private enterprise. Foremost in this laudable work was the father of the subject of the present notice, Edmund M. Blunt, who, in addition to the Coast Pilot, compiled and published at his suggestion in 1796, undertook hydrographic surveys and examinations. In these latter operations his sons took an active part. Before he was 18 years of age, Edmund Blunt made a survey of the Harbor of New York. In the years 1819-20 he assisted in the sounding of the Great Bahamas Bank route to the Gulf of Mexico; afterwards in the survey of Nantucket and George's shoal. In 1824 he surveyed the seacoast in the vicinity of New York Bay; and between the years 1828 and 1830 the shores and shoals of Long Island Sound. Early in 1833 Blunt was appointed an assistant in the Coast Survey, that work, after a suspension of 15 years, having been then resumed. This appointment enabled him to bring to the performance of the duties assigned to him, in the systematic operations about to be undertaken, the skill and experience acquired during his previous career. In subsequent years, as the geodetic survey advanced, the name of Assistant Blunt became in succession identified in its records with the triangulation of Long Island Sound and of the adjacent coast; with the triangulation of Delaware Bay and River; with the measurement of a base line for verifying the primary triangulation completed previous to 1844; with various detached surveys between New York and Boston; with the triangulation of Chesapeake Bay; and with that of the valley of the Hudson between New York City and Albany. The death of Mr. Blunt was sudden and unexpected. He retained to the last day of his life the vigor and activity which had marked his early manhood. In field operations he laid the basis for the excellent work which he performed by untiring search, and by adopting in all cases the means suggested in a comprehensive review of the ground features, however extended the area might be, designated for triangulation. Concerned chiefly in the primary work, on parts of the coast presenting all the natural difficulties in the way of observing over extended lines of sight, he brought into use many of the expedients now regularly employed in similar localities. The regard for his profession, which seemed to strengthen as time drew on, was befitting in one who had largely shared from the beginning in the labors pertaining to the geodetic survey of the coast. Prompt, energetic and successful in the field, and at all times devoted to the interests and credit of the work, the example of Mr. Blunt commanded the respect, as his kind and genial disposition gained the regards of all his associated on the survey. Price: Date: 1777
Model # MMA001
Michael Blachford - Maker: In 1836 Imray joined with Michael Blachford, a small sea chart publisher based in London. The partnership flourished and soon began to compete with the larger firm of Norie and Wilson. In 1846 Imray bought out Blachford, and the company survived, led by descendants, into the twentieth century, when it merged with Norie and Wilson. Rivalry between the hydrographic charts of James Imray, Norie and the British Admiralty throughout the nineteenth century ensured independent works of high quality. Price: Date: 1810
Model # MMA002
James Imray - Maker: London chart publisher James Imray was known as one of the best makers of "blueback" charts, those charts so large that they required a backing piece of paper to support the two or three sheets of printed chart paper. Price: Date: 1810
Model # MMA012
Ernest Dudley Chase - Maker: Ernest Dudley Chase (1878-1966)
Widely regarded for his drawings, greeting cards, and maps during his lifetime, Ernest Dudley Chase was born in Lowell, Mass. in 1878. He attended the Lowell Textile School and the Vesper George Art School of Boston. He then joined the Butterfield Printing Company in 1900 and the W. T. Sheehan printing firm in 1906. In 1908, he began his own greeting card company, Des Arts Publishers, which later became Ernest Dudley Chase Publishers. In 1921, the Rust Craft company purchased Ernest Dudley Chase Publishers. Chase held the positions of vice president, advertising manager, and creative director with Rust Craft until his retirement in 1958. Chase also wrote a history of the greeting card industry entitled The Romance of Greeting Cards published in 1926. His pictorial maps include historical references, decorative borders, and architectural embellishments. After a creative and illustrious career, Chase died in 1966 in Hyannis, Mass. This information borrowed from the website of the Winchester Public Library: http://www.winpublib.org/reference-and-research/chase-map-collection. The Winchester Public Library has a collection of Ernest Dudley Chase's maps, and we recommend that you visit their website for more information and to see more of his maps. Photo from the State Library of Massachusetts. Price: Date: 1878-1966
Model # MMA013
US War Dept Civil War Maps - Maker: A series of maps were published by the US War Dept. in the 1890s detailing the Civil War. These maps were created as part of a comprehensive effort to gather and publish all information about the war, including formal reports, correspondence, orders, etc. from both armies. The note on the front of the Atlas, part 1 reads "The ATLAS will be issued in parts of five plates each. The parts, as they appear, will be sent by mail to those persons designated to receive the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, in accordance with the terms of the Act of Congress of August 7, 1882, and Public Resolution No. 5, approved March 10, 1888."
The following is a description of the production of the Official Records that was included on the back cover of the first volume (of 35) published in 1891:
The work of preparing the records of the war for public use was begun under the resolution of Congress of May 19, 1864, by Adjt. Gen. E. D. Townsend, US Army, Who caused copies to be made of reports of battles on file in his office and steps to be taken to collect missing records. Under the provisions of joint resolution No. 91, of 1866, Hon. Peter H. Watson was appointed to supervise the preparation and formulate a plan for the publication of the records, but he did no work and drew no pay under this appointment, which expired July 27, 1868, by limitation of the resolution. This resolution also repealed the former one, and work ceased.
The first decisive step taken in this work was the act of June 23, 1874, providing the necessary means "to enable the secretary of War to begin the publication of the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion, both of the Union and Confederate Armies," and directing him "to have copied for the Public Printer all reports, letters, telegrams, and general orders, not heretofore copied or printed, and properly arranged in chronological order." Appropriations have been made from time to time for continuing such preparation. Under this act the preliminary work was resumed by General Townsend, who first outlined the plan on which the records are printed, though it appears that originally he contemplated publishing to the world only the more important military reports.
Subsequently, under meager appropriations, it was prosecuted in a somewhat desultory manner by various subordinates of the War Department until December 14, 1877, when the Secretary of War, perceiving that the undertaking needed the undivided attention of a single head, detailed Lieut. Col. Robert N. Scott, US Army, to take charge of the bureau and devote himself exclusively to the work.
The act of June 23, 1874, greatly enlarged upon the first crude scheme of publication. On this more comprehensive basis it was determined that the volumes should include not only the battle reports, but also "all official documents that can be obtained by the compiler, and that appear to be of any historical value." Colonel Scott systematized the work and the plan, and presented the records in the following order of arrangement, which has been adhered to by his successors....
The first volume of records was issued in the early fall of 1880. The act approved June 16, 1880, provided "for the printing and binding, under direction of the Secretary of War, of 10,000 copies of a compilation of the Official Records (Union and Confederate) of the War of the Rebellion...
Col. Robert N. Scott died March 5, 1887, before the completion of the work, which, during a ten years' service, he had come to love so dearly...
The Secretary of War appointed Maj. George B. Davis, judge advocate, US Army... Leslie J. Perry, of Kansas, and Joseph W. Kirkley, of Maryland... This board assumed direction of the publication at the commencement of the fiscal year 1889, its first work beginning with Serial No. 36, of Vol. XXIV.
Nothing is printed in these volumes excepting duly authenticated contemporaneous records of the war. The scope of the board's work is to decide upon and arrange the matter to be published, to correct and verify the orthography of the papers used, and occasionally to add a foot-note of explanation.
John Tallis - Maker: John Tallis and Company was an English map company which published views, maps and atlases in London from 1838 to 1851. Known for his ornamentation and small decorative vignettes, Tallis was one of the last mapmakers to make maps with scenes. His vignettes included people, nature, animals and views of the countryside. His "General Atlas" published in 1851 was the last of the decorative style of maps from England. John Tallis lived in New Cross, South East London. Many of Tallis maps were engraved by John Rapkin (1835-1865) and most of the maps had limited color including outlined boundaries and some land features. Price: Date: 1838
Model # MMA011
George Eldridge - Maker: In 1854, Chatham's very own George Eldridge published the first edition of Eldridge's Pilot for Vineyard Sound and Monomoy Shoals. The 32 page, grey, paper-covered volume, which had no recorded price, was devoted to nautical "dangers," and embellished with his personal, oft-amusing observations. In 1870, George Eldridge sent his son to Vineyard Haven to peddle his father's books and charts. Young George was only too pleased to relocate, as Vineyard Haven was, at that time, second only to the English Channel as the busiest harbor in all the world. It was not uncommon to see as many as one hundred schooners anchored off the coast awaiting a favorable current. Ever the burgeoning entrepreneur, George Junior set off in a catboat to sell his father's charts from boat to boat. During these transactions, mariners often wished to know when the current would turn to run East or West in the Sound. The Younger George made careful observations, and one day, while in the ship chandlery of Charles Holmes, he set down the first draft of a tide table that remains in use to this day.
With the help of the elder Eldridge, Young George devised tide tables for each of the harbors he visited. First published in 1875, the Eldridge tide table became the indispensable book for all who sailed the tempestuous Atlantic Ocean. At a time when countless vessels foundered and met sad ends among the hidden rocks and shifting shoals, Eldridge constantly updated his publications to help fellow seafarers navigate unusual currents into the safety of well-mapped harbors. It's impossible to say just how many sailors this father and son team saved from a watery grave, but their legacy of careful observation is still carried out by their descendants, and when we look upon their charts in our shop, we can't help but be proud that both Eldridges called our quaint little seaside town their home.
Price: Date: 1838
Click column heading to sort by that value
Maps of Antiquity is located on Cape Cod
Generally open 10-5 Call ahead: 508-945-1660
1409 Main Street (Route 28)
Chatham, Massachusetts 02633