A series of maps were published by the US War Dept. in the 1890s detailing the Civil War. These maps were created as part of a comprehensive effort to gather and publish all information about the war, including formal reports, correspondence, orders, etc. from both armies. The note on the front of the Atlas, part 1 reads "The ATLAS will be issued in parts of five plates each. The parts, as they appear, will be sent by mail to those persons designated to receive the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, in accordance with the terms of the Act of Congress of August 7, 1882, and Public Resolution No. 5, approved March 10, 1888."
The following is a description of the production of the Official Records that was included on the back cover of the first volume (of 35) published in 1891:
The work of preparing the records of the war for public use was begun under the resolution of Congress of May 19, 1864, by Adjt. Gen. E. D. Townsend, US Army, Who caused copies to be made of reports of battles on file in his office and steps to be taken to collect missing records. Under the provisions of joint resolution No. 91, of 1866, Hon. Peter H. Watson was appointed to supervise the preparation and formulate a plan for the publication of the records, but he did no work and drew no pay under this appointment, which expired July 27, 1868, by limitation of the resolution. This resolution also repealed the former one, and work ceased.
The first decisive step taken in this work was the act of June 23, 1874, providing the necessary means "to enable the secretary of War to begin the publication of the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion, both of the Union and Confederate Armies," and directing him "to have copied for the Public Printer all reports, letters, telegrams, and general orders, not heretofore copied or printed, and properly arranged in chronological order." Appropriations have been made from time to time for continuing such preparation. Under this act the preliminary work was resumed by General Townsend, who first outlined the plan on which the records are printed, though it appears that originally he contemplated publishing to the world only the more important military reports.
Subsequently, under meager appropriations, it was prosecuted in a somewhat desultory manner by various subordinates of the War Department until December 14, 1877, when the Secretary of War, perceiving that the undertaking needed the undivided attention of a single head, detailed Lieut. Col. Robert N. Scott, US Army, to take charge of the bureau and devote himself exclusively to the work.
The act of June 23, 1874, greatly enlarged upon the first crude scheme of publication. On this more comprehensive basis it was determined that the volumes should include not only the battle reports, but also "all official documents that can be obtained by the compiler, and that appear to be of any historical value." Colonel Scott systematized the work and the plan, and presented the records in the following order of arrangement, which has been adhered to by his successors....
The first volume of records was issued in the early fall of 1880. The act approved June 16, 1880, provided "for the printing and binding, under direction of the Secretary of War, of 10,000 copies of a compilation of the Official Records (Union and Confederate) of the War of the Rebellion...
Col. Robert N. Scott died March 5, 1887, before the completion of the work, which, during a ten years' service, he had come to love so dearly...
The Secretary of War appointed Maj. George B. Davis, judge advocate, US Army... Leslie J. Perry, of Kansas, and Joseph W. Kirkley, of Maryland... This board assumed direction of the publication at the commencement of the fiscal year 1889, its first work beginning with Serial No. 36, of Vol. XXIV.
Nothing is printed in these volumes excepting duly authenticated contemporaneous records of the war. The scope of the board's work is to decide upon and arrange the matter to be published, to correct and verify the orthography of the papers used, and occasionally to add a foot-note of explanation.
For Information Only - not for sale
Maps of Antiquity is located on Cape Cod
Generally open 10-5 Call ahead: 508-945-1660
1409 Main Street (Route 28)
Chatham, Massachusetts 02633